If you are employed or engaged in any capacity onboard a ship with designated safety or pollution-prevention duties, before being assigned to any shipboard tasks you will be required to successfully complete elements of MCA approved basic training, one of the four elements of basic training is Elementary First Aid as stated within the STCW Code.
For the issue of a Certificate of Proficiency in Elementary First Aid you must:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Successfully complete MCA-approved training in Elementary First Aid, meeting the standard of competence in Section A-VI/1-3 of the STCW Code.
STCW Course Content and Outcomes includes a combination of theory and practical training. This course meets the requirements for all seafaring personal who require elementary first aid training for on board ship and as required by Table A-VI/4-1. In this course we'll cover:
- Applying immediate first aid to an injured casualty and a person suffering illness on board.
- Contents of the first aid kit and demonstrate use of the equipment.
- Immediate measures to be taken when accidents, medical emergencies or illnesses occur, including prioritizing actions to be taken and minimizing risk of harm to self and casualty.
- Use of the Medical First Aid Guide, including treatment required as a result of accidents involving dangerous goods.
- Procedures for maintaining hygiene when undertaking first aid, and demonstrates correct hand washing techniques.
- Appropriate first aid in accordance with recognised principles for illnesses
- Procedures for getting radio medical advice and identify the information that needs to be provided to enable the most appropriate advice to be given.
- Describe external and internal types of bleeding, spinal and musculo-skeletal injuries, injury related to the head, chest and abdomen, and demonstrate their control and management.
- describe the effect of extremes of heat and cold and demonstrate the management of related conditions, including heat exhaustion, heat stroke and hypothermia.
- Identify casualty rescue requirements and demonstrate appropriate transportation techniques.
As per MCA requirements one of the following pieces of identification must be provided at the time of
course so as to be issued with certification.
- Original Passport.
- OR original Discharge Book.
- OR a Government Issued ID Card such as a Seaman's Book.
As per MCA requirements without a form of identification learners will be unable to commence training.
Please contact C Force Marine with any questions or further information you may need or for larger bookings.
You'll receive confirmation of your booking within 24 hours of signing up for the course through email.
If you do not receive the email, please check your spam box as sometimes confirmation emails end up there or contact us to verify if required.